Sunday, September 18, 2011


Please Hold......  I am currently consulting the shade of Coleridge, I shall attempt to get back to you as soon as possible.
         Fine then I am not consulting him, there may be something against that in the Church Canon. But all I want to do is to ask Coleridge to finish Cristabel. I mean this lazy poet leaves perhaps one of his most interesting poems unfinished. When he finished things like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Which was slightly boring and somewhat over the top.  I mean a guy randomly kills a bird and is cursed to a long and cruel life starting with all  his shipmates killed. Or Kubbla Klan. It is short, sweet, exotic and with no plot. Sorry I really have to say I prefer ballads and stories to lyrics about watching paint dry or even worse about someones feelings as an adolescent. Spare me, Spare the world.
            But although Cristabel creeps me out, especially at one point (I'll give you a hint it was the same point more or less that freaked Shelley out too, actually mine is just a little later). It was very interesting and now it is very aggravating when he leaves his heroine under a spell from an old young snake woman  who has difficulty walking over thresholds. Although I have to admit in part one of the things that tantalizes me about the story is that it is unfinished. But it also happens to be the only thing by Coleridge that I can appreciate.
            Oh right, I perhaps ought to finish what I was saying in my post about a week ago. Realism. What I do not like about realism is there tendency to take themselves far to seriously. What I do not like about   romanticism is that it can be overtly flowery and they have a tendency to take themselves to seriously. I mean have a little fun at your own expense once in awhile.
            I mean just because it is realistic does not make it great literature nor does it mean everything that is not a hundred percent realist can not be good literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment