Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Is Narnia an Allegory?

              I thought that since the newest Narnian movie seems to be such a success and people who have watched it tell me I should see it, I decided that I would write about the books.
             So back to my original question is Narnia an allegory. No.Well, if we took The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by itself then yes it is an allegory. However the other books make it or at least Aslan less of a Christ figure (no I am not off my rocker). Aslan is not a symbol for Christ, in the series he is Christ. The definition of allegory I learned is that it tells a story through symbols, it uses archetypes.  Actually, I have found a good  for allegory on wikipedia (don't tell my teachers, please) Allegory is a figurative of representation conveying meaning other than the literal.
               The thing is Aslan, is literally in the books, Christ, not a represantation of Christ. In the last chapter of The Silver Chair Aslan tell Eustace and Jill the next time they came to his country (heaven) they would stay. Therefore he must be the same redeemer for both worlds. In the last chapter of The Last Battle the book describes how Aslan is changed in wonderful ways when everyone had gotten into heaven.  Finally in the last chapter of The Voyage of the Dawn Trader Aslan tells Lucy and Edmund that he is known by a different name in their world.
                  Is the stories close to be an allegory? Definetly. Am I being picky in pointing out that it is not quite an allegory? Well Yeah! Does it matter? You can be the judge of that. People can make a job out of being picky, although the ideal is to be paid for that job.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment