Friday, December 31, 2010

The 12th Night

         I have recently been thinking about a play that my friends and I had put on several years back. As the title would seem to imply it was the 12th night. Well traditionally Shakespeare was acted only by men. Well since it was just my friends and myself it was Shakespeare acted only by girls. Oh and as for using his words, we sortof did ad lib, but we followed the plot. Well, we followed the plot as often as we saw fit. We just followed the Hollywood tradition of basing something very loosely on something else.
         I got to be Sir Toby. I was a wonderful Sir Toby. One of my friends didn't think so, because I cut out the one "Romance scene" I had to do.  There wasn't even a romance scene for  Sir Toby in the original play! That would be slightly awkward.
         Actually the biggest miscast was my younger sister as Sebastian and the oldest girl there as Viola. Separately they would have done fine, but it was just the wrong combination, of everyone there they looked the most different. Any other combination would have been better.  Viola and I would have looked alright together as identical twins the same with her two younger sisters. I think Olivia would have been a very good Sebastion. Especially since it was difficult to lose the sword fight to my little sister since she was scared of the metal skewers we were fighting with. Olivia was than much better at sword fighting.
         I wish I really knew how to use a sword. There is no practical purpose in it. Although there is no practical use of football. What can you say ? I learned to tackle people playing football (what you had to play football to learn that).
        None of us got the characters right, probably. I mean we were all under the age of 17 and only two of us had probably read Shakespeare's plays. Still I remember that play fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment