Monday, February 27, 2012

Hello More about American Literature

          I remember reading Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables. I loved at the time. Probably because it had to do with the psychology of the characters.  I was excited for it remembering how much I really had liked it. I mean I did not particularly care for the The Scarlet Letter. But I really had enjoyed that one.
          Well as I mentioned before I had been almost excited for it. I hate to say it but it came with as big a disappointment  about as reading The Deerslayer again (that was a book I had absolutely loved as a child). I mean Hawthorne's book was of a fairly substantial size with about as much plot as the average short story. he characters where, without being amazing, where interesting. But the overall story was overtly dramatic at many points. So much so that I had to laugh at these selfsame points.
            I don't know there was some parts of the story which were to fantastical to the setting. I mean I have nothing against putting fantastic creatures whatever else you care to put in. However you do need to build up in the world of the novel that you create so that whatever improbable thing that you put in the work, does not jar your readers away from the text. The Young man's being able to hypnotize people, just did not fit into the world that the writer created for the reader. Although if I recall aright. Hawthorne pulls such another trick in The Scarlet Letter.
               Other problems I had with the book are, well, lets see. Did Hawthorne really have to spend an entire chapter  relishing the death of the evil Judge Pynchen. Not only did it get boring, I could not help think of a common villain's annoying monologue. Their other things that just do not make sense. I think the major reason this story turns out the way that it does is because the story is not plot driven or character driven. Rather it is driven by it's symbolism.  It made no sense in the context of the story why two of the main characters just up and decided to randomly travel on a train in the middle of a rainstorm right after the evil judge threatens them. It makes sense from a symbolic perspective (they are escaping from their past and now are rejoining the present) but from a common human action perspective, the whole thing is completely motiveless.
                But I still recommend reading it. I mean if only for to relish the complete and utter confusion you will experience trying to ascertain what is even going on and why is it going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment