Saturday, November 6, 2010

Greetings

           Well here I am, writing on my new blog. I am attempting to become a professional (or at least a paid) story writer. I enjoy books and movies and enjoy analysing them even more. So that will in all likelyhood be a great deal of what I will be writing about.
            One of the more pressing issues in my life is how do you write a fairytale? It has been preying on my mind. Anyway I have come up with what I think are a good deal of the rules needed to be followed to make a good fairytale.
            One is the fairytale can not have any specific setting. It can be a general setting such as medieval times or mordern times or Anglo Saxon Britan but it can not be set in new york city ( I am a rebel and I refuse to capatlize New York) in the year 124 BC. Besides thats being impossible, it is too specific. You can set  in England somewhere sometime in the 12th centery. It's all just supposed to be vague. Occasionally a person can get away with breaking this rule, but very rarely.
             Perhaps the most definite rule I can find is a certain simplicity of storyline and of morals. A character can be unmoral, but they are, wether they are a good guy or bad guy, they have to obey the rules. Maybe just barely or only technically but they still have to obey the rules. For instance if the devil makes a promise the devil keeps the promise, same for anyone. Or if there is a challenge in the story the person has to follow that challenge no matter what. But it's usually just the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law.
             I also just mentioned above the simplicity of the storyline. There is only one conflict and not usually a deep psychological conflict, more of a solid physical conflict. A person is trying to escape from death, a person wants to become rich, or marry a prince or so on and so forth.
              Numbers are important in fairytales. Mostly three (you need no examples here I hope) or seven (seven dwarves, swans, brothers, annoying hot dog eating men, oh wait). There is sometimes 12 (princesses, dancing flamingoes... oh whatever). Still numbers are important. Oh and why does everything happen on the sevententh birthday? I mean it could at least be the day after.
             And it has a happy ending, if it does it's generally just a moral story that the puritans told to scare children. Personally I think that most of america's (there I am being rebellious again... or just lazy) problems come from the philosphy of the puritans. Nevermind that now though. the fairytale may be an odd sort of happy ending like the little mermaid, were because she sacrifices herself and dies she is not turned to sea foam but does get to go purgatory for roughly three hundred years instead and then goes to heaven. So there is always hope at the end of a fairytale.
          Oh and in general fairytales are bizarre. Usually along the lines of seriously who thought of that anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment