Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Novels Continued

                       Two part blog enteries, what will they think of next, sliced bread?
          Right back to novels. Well another book that Daniel Defoe wrote (he wrote Robinson Crusoe) is Moll Flanders. I had thought that the Puritans were stuffy until I read this book. Now I realize that they were just a bit of a hypocrites. I mean that book is riske. It is about all of the adventures of a woman of morally ambigious character. Fine she is not morally ambigious, she just lacks morals of any sort. Well fine, but do we need to go into every single detail of her love life. Yes apperantly we did. I personally prefered the part were she turned to crime. It was better than her wierd marriages and afairs.  Anyway people were reading it for her conversion and thier own moral edification. Yes, well... the last five pages of the book were about her sortof conversion. The rest is about well her crimes and so on. How much edification can it really give you anyway?
           I got more moral edification watching "The Nightmare Before Christmas", which I think has a far deeper meaning that anyone gives it credit for. Well maybe not but it I can easily find messages in it that I have a feeling the authors did not intend. Obviously I have been in far too many college English classes. Let us find meaning in a text that proably does not mean this but we want it to anyway, so we will make it mean it.  Well maybe it is not quite that simple.
              Oh and I wanted to talk about Pamela and even better Shamela.  Oh well until tommorrow or whenever I write next.

No comments:

Post a Comment