Monday, November 8, 2010

Movies or books?

         I was not to sure what I wanted to write about today, my decision laid somewhere inbetween books or movies. I eventually decided to write about both. Well sort of....
         Some of my favorite books they have made into movies, for instance Sherlock Holmes. I'm not talking about the new movie, I've never seen that. Actually, I'm referring to the Basil Rathbone movies. I thought he was a very good Holmes, maybe a little too much on the nice side, but still pretty close. Whereas all the newer Sherlock Holmes (and by newer I mean in colour) He is too mean by far. Don't get me wrong Holmes could be mean and was on many occasions. But in those movies he was just consistently mean and neurotic. Holmes was not so much mean as unemotional and dry. He could be even nice. Like when he panicked when Watson was shot in "The Three Garriebs"actually he was mean there too, but someone had just shot his friend. My point is I do not usually like newer adaptions.
           Oh, and speaking of Watson (I was speaking of Watson, somewhere in the last paragraph), Nigel Bruce was absolutely terrible as Watson. Watson was not a doddering old man. He had fairly good intelligence, and he had a good education (he was a doctor after all) and a limited imagination. He was by no means a sparkling wit or anything of the like, but a good stolid British man. I must admit however, I do like Nigel Bruce's Watson to a certain extent. He was a terrible Watson, but he was likeable as a dumb side kick, and there are moments I can accept him as Watson, more or less, well maybe once, and that was only during the radio series.
         My new blog does not seem to be living up to it's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment