Monday, November 15, 2010

Of technology and the lack thereof

        Well I have not written for awhile. I have a few papers almost due (well sort of, but I like getting ahead). Actually I have been wondering about something my mass communication teacher pointed out. There are movies, books, music, and well a great deal of other stuff that is considered great works of art. But what about computer games? I wonder is it possible to make a computer game a great work of art (by computer games I of course mean both computer games and video games).  I mean I have never really played much (any?) of either.
        I almost want to try to do that. But I am going to try to stay with literature, and the more traditional art forms I think (wow.. did I just suggest that movies are a traditional art form?). Mostly because of my general unfamiliarity of all technology.
       I mean why in the world does anyone need the internet on their cell phone? I much rather be able to type a paper on my cell phone (oh wait I don't have one). Or why do we need to have an entire new language for texting?
          Next they will put computer games on calculators (actually that would be kind of neat, not sure if math teachers would be particularily pleased). You see the interesting thing about media now seems to be that it consists not of really inventing new things nor of really improving things. Its more of putting technology we already have and than converting it to something else. Now you can see the movies on the internet, read books on your tv (well you know what i mean), internet on to your cell phone. But those things have already existed before, it's just they did not exist together.

1 comment:

  1. Actually they do have games on calculators now. Though it seems rather sad to me that someone would need a game on a calculator. Do we really need entertainment 24/7?

    ReplyDelete